A second new case of COVID-19 has been discovered in Sydney's eastern suburb of Bondi, with health authorities identifying a spate of exposure sites where further transmission could have occurred.
On Wednesday, New South Wales (NSW) health officials revealed the latest case was a household contact of a man in his 60s, a case that had been announced earlier in the day.
The man in his 60s is a driver who transports international flight crews, NSW Health said. Local media understands the man is not vaccinated against the virus.
Urgent investigations are underway to determine how the man contracted COVID-19. Contact tracing and genome sequencing are also being conducted.
The state's health department is now in the process of reaching out to the man's close contacts. On Wednesday night, two locations at the East Village Shopping Centre in Zetland, a bus route, several sites in Bondi Junction and a car wash in Redfern were added to the growing list of exposure sites associated with the cases.
A number of locations from inner-city Redfern to the eastern suburbs have now been identified as sites where transmission could have potentially occurred.
People who attended a screening of Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard at a Bondi movie theatre and passengers on the 200 bus from Bondi to North Sydney are required to get tested for the virus immediately and isolate for 14 days, regardless if they return a negative result.
A full list of exposure sites across the state is available on the NSW Health website.
Anyone in Queensland who has visited one of the exposure sites at the specified time is now automatically required to quarantine, Queensland Chief Health Officer Dr Jeannette Young announced on Wednesday.
"If you have been to any of these sites and are already in Queensland, you must immediately travel by private transport directly to your home or accommodation and quarantine," Young told reporters.
"We act quickly in these situations to protect the health and safety of Queenslanders and visitors."
NSW currently has 36 active cases of COVID-19, three of which are returnees from overseas who test positive in the past 24 hours.
The state last reported a case of COVID-19 in the community on May 5 - 42 days ago.
Fifty-six people have died from the virus in NSW since the beginning of the pandemic, with 5437 recorded cases to date statewide.
Of the state's 8.166 million population, 1.737 million have received at least one dose of the vaccine since the launch of its vaccination campaign. In the past 24 hours, 17,223 doses have been administered.
It comes as Kiwis and Australians alike await a decision regarding the reopening of quarantine-free travel between New Zealand and Victoria. The state was ravaged by COVID-19 in an outbreak last month, which saw health officials impose a statewide lockdown to curb the spread of the virus.
New Zealand officials suspended the quarantine-free travel arrangement temporarily to ensure the virus was not transported into New Zealand. The pause, which is set to lapse on Thursday, was reviewed on Wednesday. The outcome is expected to be released shortly.