Australian woman severely injured after stepping on rollercoaster track to get phone will face theft charges

  • 10/01/2023
The exact details of the theft allegations are unknown.
The exact details of the theft allegations are unknown. Photo credit: Facebook / 7News.

The victim of a horror rollercoaster tragedy last year will face court over allegations of theft, it has been revealed.

Shylah Rodden, 26, was hit by a rollercoaster after stepping on a track at the Melbourne Royal Show last September. It's reported she entered the track to retrieve her phone and was thrown into the air by a fast-moving carriage.

The woman remains in hospital recovering from her injuries, but the Daily Mail Australia has reported Rodden is scheduled to appear in a Melbourne Court on theft charges relating to an alleged incident prior to her accident. A bond hearing is also down for May.

The media outlet said the specific details of the charges are not yet publicly available, but a hearing is on the books for Wednesday. The allegations could become public if the matter proceeds, it's said.

The Daily Mail reported the hearing is likely to be adjourned this week as Rodden is unable to communicate with her friends or family.

She suffered a brain injury after being into the air by the rollercoaster. The woman was then put into a medically-induced coma, which she came out of in November.

"The injuries are horrific. Horrific," her father told the Daily Mail soon after the accident.

"She's brain damaged. It's pelvic, her arms, legs, back, neck - there's hardly a thing that's not broken. I just can't work out how the hell so much damage has been done."

Although her condition is now classed as stable, the outlet said her friends say she is not able to speak to anyone.

7News quoted a witness to the accident at the time as saying it was so horrific he was unable to sleep for days afterwards. 

"We saw a lady in an area where she shouldn't be. A worker told her to get away but we couldn't hear the whole conversation, she just told her not to be there. That person started to walk away and I didn't think much of it," he said.

He said someone was then suddenly "taken up".

The Melbourne Royal Show chief executive Brad Jenkins said it was a "tragic accident". 

"From our understanding, there was a mobile phone at the base of the Rebel Coaster that she dropped on the ride and she went back to recover the mobile phone," he said.

"Regrettably, she was tragically struck by the cart coming down.

"It is an extreme rollercoaster which is a lot of fun generally, but this was a tragic accident that shouldn't have happened."