Dad 'went numb' witnessing Gold Coast helicopter crash with his wife and stepson inside

Husband and stepfather of two of the crash victims of the Gold Coast helicopter crash says he "went numb" as he witnessed the helicopters collide mid-air.

The man then waited a devastating two hours before he learned the news that his wife and stepson had miraculously survived the crash.

On Monday, emergency services were called after two helicopters collided just after 2pm (local time). Four people died and three others were critically injured in the crash.

One of the helicopters involved in the collision carrying seven people ended up upside down in the water. The pilot and three passengers died at the scene.

A 10-year-old from Australia is in a critical condition and was transported to the Gold Coast University Hospital. 

Winnie De Silva, 33, and her nine-year-old son Leon from Victoria, Australia were also transported to the hospital with serious injuries. 

A Gofundme page which has raised over AUD$35,000 confirmed the pair are alive but face a lot of surgery.

The page, set up by husband and step-father Neil De Silva, said the family were on a holiday from Geelong and will need to stay in the Gold Coast while the pair undergo surgery.

Winnie sustained two broken legs, and a broken shoulder and collarbone. Meanwhile, Leon is in a coma with traumatic brain injuries, 7News reported.

Winnie De Silva recovers in hospital after the Gold Coast helicopter crash
Winnie De Silva recovers in hospital after the Gold Coast helicopter crash Photo credit: Gofundme

When the family were on their holiday, De Silva decided to treat the pair to a 10-minute helicopter ride. 

De Silva watched below as the helicopter took off but it only flew around 200m before he witnessed the devastating crash.

"I could see the other helicopter that was due to land. It looked like they were going to crash into one another," De Silva told the Courier Mail.

"As it got closer, I was thinking, 'This is crazy, this looks really bad', and I just went numb."

De Silva then waited two hours before he learned the pair were among the three survivors.

The other helicopter involved in the crash managed to successfully land on a sandbank. Passengers on this helicopter included two New Zealand families - a 44-year-old man and a 43-year-old woman from one family and a 48-year-old man and 45-year-old woman from the other, Queensland Police said in a statement.

A 27-year-old woman from Western Australia was also in this helicopter.