Terrifying fire erupts onboard plane heading from Taiwan to Singapore, two injured

  • 12/01/2023
The cabin crew has been praised for extinguishing the blaze.
The cabin crew has been praised for extinguishing the blaze. Photo credit: CNA / Angie / Screenshot.

A fire caused by a power bank overheating has injured two passengers onboard an aircraft heading from Taiwan to Singapore.

According to a report from Channel News Asia (CNA), the Scoot flight was about to take off from Taoyuan International Airport on Tuesday (local time) when a blaze erupted. 

"Scoot flight TR993, operating from Taipei to Singapore on Jan 10, returned to the gate after a rechargeable power bank belonging to a customer overheated while the aircraft was on the ground," the news outlet reported Scott as saying. 

The owner of the power bank as well as his companion suffered minor burns to their fingers and received medical assistance, the airline said.

Video footage shared online shows the orange glow of the flame in a row of seats and an air attendant backing people away from it. Another member of the cabin crew then appears to walk along with a fire extinguisher to put out the flame. 

After the inferno was extinguished, the aircraft was allowed to return to a gate and the flight was rescheduled. 

"Scoot sincerely apologises for the incident. The safety of our customers and crew is our top priority. Investigations into the incident are underway."

One passenger told CNA just before the plane's engines began, she heard a commotion and turned to see flames. 

"The people started backing up and then people were screaming: 'Help, help! There's a fire," the woman said.

She said the cabin crew were "extremely professional" and knew "exactly what to do", telling people to calm down and bringing a fire extinguisher. The fire was out within three minutes, she said.