Broadcaster Tony Veitch sentenced for assault of ex-girlfriend

  • Breaking
  • 15/04/2009

Broadcaster Tony Veitch has been given 9 months supervision, a $10,000 fine and 300 hours of community service after pleading guilty to injuring his former girlfriend Kristin Dunne-Powell with reckless disregard.
He will have to attend an anti-violence course if his supervisor deems it necessary.

Veitch, 35-years-old, admitted one charge of injuring with reckless disregard, in the Auckland District Court today.

He had been due to appear in court next week for a depositions hearing to decide if he would go to trial.

Six charges of male assaults female were dropped by the Crown.
In a statement outside court Veitch said his actions were out of character and they would certainly never happen again. He said he was glad the other charges were dropped and expressed surprise that they were laid at all.
Veitch also took the opportunity to criticise segments of the media for publishing slandering stories that he believes had no basis of truth.

After his first court appearance in August last year, Veitch vowed to defend the charges.

"I'm determined more than ever to fight to clear my name," he said.

The former TVNZ and Radio Sport host initially faced six charges of assaulting former girlfriend Kristin Dunne-Powell, as well as one of injuring her with reckless disregard.

The Court yesterday notified the news media the case had been "brought on" and Veitch would appear today.

The change in status was understood to have followed negotiations on a plea bargain by Veitch's lawyer, Stuart Grieve, QC.

Veitch was charged after alleged assaults on Ms Dunne-Powell at Auckland, Rotorua and Mangawhai, north of Auckland, between 2003 and 2006.

One alleged assault was said to have broken her back in four places.

In a public statement after the allegations were made public Veitch said he "lashed out in anger" and it was "the thing I will most regret in my life".

In court today Veitch and his wife Zoe Halford sat across the aisle from Ms Dunne-Powell.

The former Game of Two Halves presenter stood down from high-paying positions at TVNZ and the Radio Network in July last year.

The seven charges Veitch originally faced were:

Injuring with reckless disregard: January 29, 2006.

Male assaults female: December 18, 2006, at Auckland.

Male assaults female: November 5, 2005, at Auckland.

Male assaults female: July 8, 2005, at Auckland.

Male assaults female: June 3-4, 2005, at Rotorua.

Male assaults female: Between April 14, 2003, and April 9, 2005, at Mangawhai.

Male assaults female: Between March 15, 2002, and April 19, 2003, at Auckland.

Timeline of events surrounding broadcaster Tony Veitch's legal battle:

July 7, 2008 -- Media reports say Veitch assaulted his former partner, Kristin Dunne-Powell, and paid her to keep quiet.

July 8, 2008 -- Veitch takes leave from his Radio Sport morning show and his TV One News sports presenting position.

July 9, 2008 -- In a press conference, Veitch admits he "lashed out in anger" at his Ms Dunne-Powell at his Auckland home in early
2006 and paid her money for loss of income and distress.

July 10, 2008 -- Police announce investigation into allegations; Veitch suspended from Radio Sport.

July 11, 2008 -- Veitch dumped from TVNZ Beijing Olympics reporting team.

July 12, 2008 -- Executives from TVNZ and The Radio Network (TRN) admit they knew of problems between Veitch and Ms Dunne-Powell.

July 17, 2008 -- Veitch resigns from TVNZ and TRN jobs; Ms Dunne-Powell lodges formal complaint with police against Veitch.

August 18, 2008 -- Police charge Veitch with six counts of male assaults female and one count of injuring with reckless disregard; he appears in Auckland District Court and is remanded on bail.

September 5, 2008 -- Veitch is reportedly rushed to Auckland Hospital for the night after disappearing from his home and being found in a remote Northland area.

January 2, 2009 -- Veitch taken to Thames Hospital overnight after reportedly being found by police and ambulance staff in a distressed state on a Coromandel beach.

April 16, 2009 -- Veitch pleads guilty to one charge of injuring his former girlfriend with reckless disregard. Six assault charges were dropped.

source: newshub archive