By 3 News online staff
Lake Tarawera has tested positive for potentially toxic blue-green algae, but a health warning will not be issued.
The confirmation comes after samples were taken from the lake last week, as well as Te Rata Bay near Hot Water Beach.
The lake is at 'amber alert', meaning the situation will continue to be monitored.
"The blue-green algae identified are potentially toxic but the levels of algae are below health guidelines," says Bay of Plenty Regional Council science manager Rob Donald. "We recommend that people do not swim in the water if it is discoloured."
Blue-green algae only recently arrived in New Zealand, but has already taken its place in lakes throughout the North Island.
It causes water to appear green and cloudy, and sometimes green specks will be visible.
source: newshub archive