As their time as senior royals winds down, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have responded to US President Donald Trump's demand they pay for their own security while living in the states.
From Wednesday (UK Time), royal renegades Harry and Meghan will no longer be senior royals. It marks an end to the tumultuous Megxit process, which began in January when the pair shocked the world by announcing they wanted to step down from official duties, at that time without the permission of the Queen.
However, after weeks of behind-the-scenes talks and changes to protocol, Harry and Meghan got their way and moved to Canada, where their son, Archie, has been residing. It was reported last week that they have now flown to Los Angeles, where Meghan's mother, Doria Ragland, is based.
That move prompted the United States' leader to demand the pair pay for their own security while in his country.
"I am a great friend and admirer of the Queen & the United Kingdom. It was reported that Harry and Meghan, who left the Kingdom, would reside permanently in Canada. Now they have left Canada for the U.S. however, the U.S. will not pay for their security protection. They must pay!" Trump tweeted on Monday.
Prince Harry and Meghan have now responded, with a spokesperson telling media that they have "no plans to ask the US government for security resources. Privately funded security arrangements have been made".
That response came hours before the pair posted on their SussexRoyal Instagram, for what is believed to be the final time. With their decision to leave the royal family, the couple have been told they must also abandon the SussexRoyal brand. A new brand is expected to be announced this week.
In the post, which is signed off by simply "Harry and Meghan", the pair say the world is "extraordinarily fragile" at the moment with the coronavirus pandemic.
"As we all find the part we are to play in this global shift and changing of habits, we are focusing this new chapter to understand how we can best contribute," the caption says.
"While you may not see us here, the work continues.
"Thank you to this community - for the support, the inspiration and the shared commitment to the good in the world. We look forward to reconnecting with you soon. You’ve been great!
"Until then, please take good care of yourselves, and of one another."
With their Buckingham Palace office shut from April 1, the pair will now be represented by Hollywood agency Sunshine Sachs, according to ITV.
Walt Disney Co said last week that Meghan had narrated a nature documentary that would be released on its Disney+ streaming platform on Friday.