Britain's Got Talent blasted after man sets himself on fire trying to solve Rubik's cube during audition

A woman looking shocked at a man on fire
A man has set himself on fire during an audition for Britain's Got Talent. Photo credit: Youtube

UK TV show Britain's Got Talent has been blasted online after showing an audition of a hopeful setting himself on fire while trying to solve a Rubik's cube.

Professional stuntman Thomas Vu was covered in a fire retardant gel and set alight in the first episode of the talent show as he tried to impress judges Simon Cowell, Alesha Dixon, Bruno Toniolo and Amanda Holden.

The audience screamed as Vu went up in flames. Vu told the audience before he began that he had to have a fail-safe after a certain point because there was a genuine risk he could burn.

"Do not try this at home," show co-host Ant McPartlin warned viewers as the man covered himself in a 'slime' which was actually a fireproof coating for his skin before being set ablaze.

He managed to solve it and received a standing ovation from the judges, but audiences online and at home were not impressed with the lengths he went to to secure the judge's approval.

"How stupid and irresponsible there are kids watching this show setting someone on fire is not entertainment very very poor tv and decision by itv to broadcast this act," one commenter said.

"I have the utmost respect for stunt men and women, but this is not entertainment," another said.

"Showing a man setting himself on fire on a 'family show' is not acceptable. Even with the mention 'do not try this at home'," another commenter posted.