Charging Samsung tablet burns hole through UK boy's mattress

Fire departments have warned families against the dangers of charging devices on flammable materials.
Fire departments have warned families against the dangers of charging devices on flammable materials. Photo credit: File

An 11-year-old boy from the UK was lucky to be unharmed after his Samsung tablet, left on the bed overnight while charging, burned a rectangular hole through his bedding and mattress.

The child, from Staffordshire, reportedly woke up to see the tablet had burnt through the mattress down to the springs. The overheated gadget also left a layer of black soot in the bedroom. 

The family say they purchased the tablet brand-new four years ago, and charged it with its original charger.

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue said the family was extremely lucky the bed did not catch fire, with one firefighter calling it a near escape.

"It serves as a stark reminder not to leave items charging on materials that could catch fire when hot," firefighter Brad Robins told British media.

Robins also confirmed that the family home did not have working fire alarms - if the tablet had caught fire, the incident could have been a tragedy. 

The local fire department reportedly installed new working fire alarms in the family home following the incident.

The department also recommends families ensure genuine chargers are being used with all technological items, and items are placed on a safe surface while charging.

Newshub.

Contact Newshub with your story tips:
news@newshub.co.nz