Australian parents of four-month-old boy who died in father's bed speak of losing their baby to SIDS

Baby Bronlee was found dead on Saturday morning.
Baby Bronlee was found dead on Saturday morning. Photo credit: Facebook/Dee-Jay Ward

The parents of a four-month-old who died while sleeping next to his dad have spoken out about the devastating ordeal.

Baby Bronlee was found dead on Saturday morning in Adelaide. His mum, Dee-Jay Ward, was in hospital having an operation and the baby had been sleeping in bed with his dad, Jayden.

Jayden noticed something wasn't right when he woke up in the morning.

He told 7 News: "I looked over, I saw his chest wasn't moving, grabbed his forehead and it was cold.

"I never let him get too far away from me."

Jayden said his child was "within half an arm's reach" of him.

"He was in the exact position he went to sleep in," he told 7 News.

Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) is what the couple believed caused Bronlee's death. The baby had reportedly shown no signs of sickness prior to his death.

The couple want to raise awareness about SIDS.
The couple want to raise awareness about SIDS. Photo credit: Facebook/Dee-Jay Ward

"It was the worst day of my life," Dee-Jay told the Daily Mail.

The couple now want to raise awareness about SIDS. According to the National Sleep Foundation, common factors that contribute to the risk of SIDS include babies sleeping in the prone position, or overheating due to clothing.

"If we can raise enough awareness to prevent one family from going through what we're going through, that would be amazing," Jayden told 7 News.

Newshub.

Contact Newshub with your story tips:
news@newshub.co.nz