'An inferno': Gwyneth Paltrow's 'vagina-scented' candle explodes in UK woman's home

The candle, which hit headlines last year, has proven too hot to handle.
The candle, which hit headlines last year, has proven too hot to handle. Photo credit: Goop/Getty.

A 'vagina-scented' candle which made headlines last year has proven too hot to handle after it exploded and caused an "inferno" in an unlucky owner's home. 

UK woman Jody Thompson said the notorious Gwyneth Paltrow's 'This Smells Like My Vagina' Goop candle, which she won, almost burnt down her house after a "50cm flame leapt from the candle and out of the glass jar". 

"The candle exploded and emitted huge flames, with bits flying everywhere," she told the UK outlet The Sun this week, adding she'd "never seen anything like it". 

"The whole thing was ablaze and it was too hot to touch. There was an inferno in the room."  

Thompson says she and her husband managed to get the fire under control and "throw the candle out the front door". She shared photos of the resulting burnt and mangled black glass candle container with newspaper. 

In a statement to the New York Post, Paltrow's lifestyle website Goop said as the candle was provided to Thompson from a third party, they were unable "to verify its authenticity."

But they "alerted the manufacturer to the woman's issue and have also reached out to her to send her some Goop products to help pass the days in quarantine". 

Paltrow released her NZ$113 candle in January last year, which the Avengers star described as "funny, gorgeous, sexy and beautifully unexpected scent".

According to a spokesperson, the candle sold out on Goop "within a few hours" and people needed to join a waitlist to get their hands on one.