Several attendees of Saturday night's now-infamous Auckland lockdown party have issued apologies online after facing the court of public opinion in Aotearoa.
Footage of the party circulated on social media over the weekend showing what appears to be over 50 unmasked people drinking, dancing on tables and kissing at an apartment in Redvale on the North Shore.
The videos outraged Aucklanders who had been following the strict rules of the COVID-19 alert level 3 lockdown, which stipulate only outdoor gatherings of up two households are allowed.
The alleged host of the party was arrested on Monday, with police issuing a statement saying a 28-year-old man has been charged "with failing to comply with the COVID-19 Public Health Response (Alert Level Requirements)".
Now two notable partygoers have released apologies.
Jaydn McCarthy, who describes himself as an 'entrepreneur' in his Instagram bio, was formerly with modelling agency KAM Talent but was axed on Monday, according to owner Kim Tiam.
According to internet speculation, McCarthy allegedly lives out of Auckland and used an essential worker pass to gain access to the city.
On Monday evening he posted a written message on his Instagram Story offering an apology for his "selfish behaviour" that put people at risk.
"Especially the families that are going through the unthinkable and experiencing great hardship," he said.
"My actions were irresponsible and placed many at risk in various ways. Particularly not only others' safety but also my parents who raised me to know better.
"I knew it was wrong so no justification can be made about that."
McCarthy said he had "voluntarily owned up to the appropriate authorities" and taken full responsibility for his actions.
"I will accept the disciplinary outcome," he wrote.
He also wrote that he had taken a COVID-19 test which returned a negative result, but he would continue to isolate for an appropriate period.
Fellow party-goer Leila Soraya also issued an apology on her Instagram saying she was "ashamed" of her actions and calling the party a "major regret".
"I am ashamed of the actions I took part in going to this party. I understand the community is angry as it was a selfish act and not right at all," she wrote.
"Definitely a major regret as I'm not even the type to do stuff like that but it was a weak, poor decision and I apologise deeply."
She then issued a plea to the public to "stop with the death threats".
"No human deserves that," she wrote.
However a third party-goer hit out at criticism, saying we will be "back in level 2 soon" and people should "do what" they "want to do".
"There are liquor stores open in lockdown. People are doing their own thing. No way someone is following 10 people rules. There's families with more than 10 people. Do what you want to do," they stated in a private clip shared with Newshub.
Editor's note: Newshub initially reported on claims that Soraya made the private video hitting out at criticism of the party. However, that has now emerged to be a different attendee, and the story has been corrected.