Auckland Council has reduced its Anzac Day services by more than two-thirds due to security concerns.
There will be just 26 commemorative events across the city, down from 84 last year, however police said there is no specific security threat.
While The AM Show host Duncan Garner is encouraging Aucklanders to "drive out of their way" to attend a service, fellow host Mark Richardson has revealed he will not attend a service with his family.
- Auckland Council cuts 84 Anzac services down to 26 over terror fears
- Anzac Day services could be cut over security fears
- Proposed Muslim prayer on Anzac Day sparks violent threats
- 'More than 300' hate messages sent to Anzac service organiser after cancellation
"I won't [go]," Richardson said on Wednesday morning.
Richardson believes 'Lest we forget' is an important phrases for Kiwis, and those who represented New Zealand in service should be honoured, but would not risk going to a service for security.
"If there's a legitimate threat, a safety threat, I won't even take the chance with my kids."
The council worked with police and the Returned and Services' Association (RSA) to drastically reduce the number of events.
"Those gathering at each event will be invited to attend their local RSA at the conclusion of the activities, should this be appropriate or convenient," the council said in a statement.
Police say they recognise how important Anzac Day is for many New Zealanders, but holding fewer events in the country's biggest city will free up resources to keep people safe.
"There is no information about a specific threat to Anzac events at this time, however it's important that the public be safe and feel safe at events in the current environment," Auckland City District Commander Superintendent Karyn Malthus said.
"There will be a high level of visible police presence for the public's reassurance, as has been the case in recent weeks."
Confirmed Auckland Anzac Day services
Manukau Memorial Gardens
Great Barrier Island