A 19-year-old has appeared in the Christchurch District Court following a search warrant and an alleged threat made to Al Noor mosque on Sunday.
The mosque was targeted in the March 15 shootings last year, the threat coming less than two weeks before the anniversary of the massacre which killed 51 people.
Sam Brittenden is facing one charge of failing to assist during a search when requested by police under the Search and Surveillance Act. No plea has been entered.
The search warrant was executed on Wednesday after an individual posted a message, written in both English and Ukrainian, to an online message board. It was accompanied by an image of a balaclava-clad person outside the mosque.
Police confirmed the post was made anonymously on an encrypted application.
"Police located a number of items at the address, including a vehicle, and we are currently speaking to a 19-year-old-man from the address," Canterbury District Commander Supt John Price said on Wednesday.
"On behalf of NZ Police, I want to thank those members of the community who alerted us to the recent threat against Al Noor mosque."
The Muslim community urged its members to be extra vigilant following the threat. Supt Price said further sharing of the threatening image is causing "significant stress and anxiety".
"This type of imagery has no place," he said. "It is abhorrent and will not be tolerated."
Brittenden will next appear in court on March 19.