A child in Auckland has sustained critical internal injuries after ingesting a substance believed to be GBL, also known as fantasy or liquid ecstasy.
A spokesperson for St John said they received a call out to Great South Road in Takanini at 7:03pm on Tuesday. Two ambulances and one Rapid Response Unit responded.
"St John treated one patient in a critical condition and transported them to Starship Hospital."
Acting Detective Senior Sergeant Michele Gillespie said the child ingested the Class B GBL, or gamma-butyrolactone.
"Police are carrying out further enquiries into the matter and we are also liaising with Oranga Tamariki," she said.
The NZ Drug Foundation said GBL is often referred to as a 'date-rape' drug due to a small amount resulting in intoxication and memory loss.
"GHB [a less potent version of GBL] can also cause memory lapses, clumsiness and/or loss of motor control, dizziness or headaches, lowered body temperature and heart rate, nausea, diarrhoea and difficulties urinating," their website said.
GHB also has a high risk of overdose.
"A standard dose is very small and using a bit more can result in an overdose which can be fatal."
Signs of GHB overdose include vomiting, loss of bodily control, shaking, loss of consciousness, and slow breathing.