Auckland police officer repeatedly punched in the head at Henderson service station in brutal attack

Warning: This video may be disturbing to some viewers.

A young man has been arrested after launching a brutal attack on a police officer outside a West Auckland service station.

Footage of the attack, obtained by Newshub, shows the alleged offender charging at the officer and repeatedly striking at his head outside the Mobil service station on Henderson's Lincoln Rd. The officer attempts to back away from the assailant, but the man knocks him to the ground.

The footage then shows the man punching the policeman's head several times as the officer, who is on his knees, appears to use a stun-gun against him. The officer is eventually overcome by the force of the blows and falls backwards, with the alleged attacker strolling away. 

A female officer, also seen in the footage, can be heard repeatedly yelling at the man to stop as he swings at her colleague.

The footage does not show the officers responding with violence at any point. 

A police spokesperson told Newshub the officers had been conducting a traffic stop on Lincoln Rd shortly before 1am on Sunday.

The spokesperson said the alleged attacker had been an occupant of the vehicle that was pulled over by police.

"One of the occupants of the vehicle assaulted the two officers," they told Newshub. "Fortunately both officers only suffered minor injuries."

The spokesperson confirmed both occupants of the vehicle were arrested following the attack.

A 19-year-old male is due to appear in the Waitakere District Court on Monday, charged with two counts of aggravated assault, wilful damage and unlawful interference with a motor-vehicle.

"This type of behaviour is unacceptable and will not be tolerated. Police will continue to do everything we can to hold offenders like this to account," the spokesperson said.

"As the matter is now before the courts, there will be no further comment."

A Mobil employee told the New Zealand Herald the alleged offender, who appeared to be intoxicated, had attempted to enter the officers' vehicle prior to the attack, which led to the policeman attempting to restrain him. 

"I saw from my [security] camera [the man] was brutally… punching [the cop] in his face," the staffer told the Herald.

"It was a scary night."