Human remains found at Auckland home were part of trailer load of items picked up from storage unit

Human remains found at a south Auckland home last week had been unwittingly brought there after they were among items from a storage unit, Newshub understands.

A trailer load of property was picked up from a storage unit after the family won an auction of items that had been left abandoned in one. The goods were then transported to the family's home on Moncrieff Avenue in Clendon Park. Human remains were later discovered in what Newshub understands were suitcases.

A number of hearses were seen leaving the scene on Thursday night after police were called to the address.

Police said those those who made the discovery are not believed to be involved in what they're calling a homicide investigation.

"I feel sorry for the family because they've got nothing to do with it. And whoever did do it, come on, front up. It's a bit unfair, bro. It's horrific, f***ing scary," said resident Shelton Honana.

On Monday, police said they appreciate there is a large public interest, but there are still a number of enquiries to be carried out before they can comment further.

"The priority for Police is to confirm the identification of the deceased so that we can establish the full circumstances behind the discovery," a spokesperson said.

"However, we are still awaiting the completion and results of the post-mortem examination so we are unable to comment."

  • If you know more, email Michael Morrah in confidence at

They wouldn't comment on the details that Newshub's been made aware of.

One source told Newshub that police could be dealing with remains from multiple bodies.

A neighbour said he saw three hearses arrive at the property and that he could smell the remains from across the fence.   

Detective Inspector Tofilau Faamanuia Vaaelua, Counties Manukau district crime manager, said on Friday the priority for police is to identify the deceased so they can notify next of kin, but added this could take some time given the nature of the discovery.

There was no risk to the public following the discovery.

Over the weekend, police said they had extra officers on duty and were providing support to the Moncrieff Avenue house occupants where the remains were found.