Two arrested after crashing stolen vehicle in wild chase across Auckland

  • 02/04/2024
Police have arrested two people.
Police have arrested two people. Photo credit: Getty Images

Police have arrested two people who allegedly fled police and crashed a stolen vehicle in Auckland.

Police responded to reports of a vehicle allegedly carrying stolen licence plates in Onehunga at around 5:10pm Monday.

"The vehicle was initially sighted travelling on Selwyn Road and Eagle was quickly overhead to provide observations," Detective Senior Sergeant Kathy Bostock said.

"The vehicle failed to stop when signalled to do so and, while police did not pursue, Eagle continued to monitor its movements as it travelled south."

Police spotted the vehicle travelling on the Southern Motorway before exiting at the Princes Street off-ramp in Ōtāhuhu.

Det Snr Srg Bostock said the vehicle briefly stopped at an address on Wedgewood Avenue where the occupants stole another vehicle.

"It is alleged the two occupants of the original vehicle have threatened those in this second car and forced them out, before taking off in their vehicle at speed," Det Snr Srg Bostock said.

"Police immediately responded to these victims who were thankfully uninjured."

The Eagle helicopter continued to monitor the stolen vehicle as it travelled on State Highway 20 and State Highway 16 before exiting and heading towards Titirangi.

"At this point, the vehicle has crashed into a member of the public's vehicle before coming to a stop outside Lemnos Place," Det Snr Srg Bostock said.

"Both the occupants have attempted to flee the area on foot, where Eagle kept a close eye on them until they were located and taken into custody a short time later."

A 48-year-old female and a 52-year-old man have been arrested in relation to this incident. Both people are due to appear in the Auckland District Court on Tuesday on charges relating to aggravated assault, unlawfully getting into a motor vehicle, and failing to stop.

Det Snr Srg Bostock says this was a volatile incident, which put many lives at risk.

"We are again thankful there were no injuries to members of our community during this incident, however we are incredibly lucky to be able to say that," she said.

"Police will allege this manner of driving was extremely reckless and had the potential to cause serious harm to a number of people.

"We hope these two arrests bring reassurance we are continuing to hold those choosing to engage in this dangerous behaviour to account."