A job listing has popped up on Trade Me apparently hoping to recruit someone for the newly-vacated role of Prime Minister of New Zealand.
It hasn't taken long for a replacement to be sought on Trade Me. Listed under the category of Government & council, the full-time job is in Wellington and includes numerous company benefits such as a personal driver and free house.
As far as the skills required to fulfil the role are concerned, the listing says candidates will:
- Have experience leading a large team as this role looks after roughly 5 million
- Remain cool, calm and collected under pressure and during a crisis (including pandemics)
- Be familiar with all corners of Aotearoa, from Karatia to Papatowai
- Be comfortable public speaking and appearing in the news daily
- Know how to answer the hard questions like "Do you only meet other PMs of a similar age with stuff in common?"
- Be available at all hours of the day and night, work weekends and make regular overseas visits
- Be able to work with all types of people including the odd "arrogant prick"
- Have a solid understanding of New Zealand's best pie shops
- Know how to get a (political) party going
- Have an interest in politics
If this all sounds a little fishy, that's because it is.
If you click on the apply now button, the following message appears:
Thanks for your interest in being our next Prime Minister.
This is not a real job listing, and we will not be taking actual applications. We hope our job ad made you smile.
The Trade Me Marketing team"
Voting will continue until either one candidate has two-thirds of the vote or more, or there are two candidates and neither can secure two-thirds of the vote. There are no limits on the number of votes to be taken.
If a consensus cannot be reached, the vote will go to the wider party members to decide.