Mixed martial arts: UFC champ Jon Jones reportedly arrested on drink-driving and gun charges

UFC star Jon Jones is in trouble again - arrested on four charges in his home city of Albuquerque, New Mexico on Friday (NZ time).

The reigning light-heavyweight champion was charged for driving under the influence, negligent use of a firearm, possession of an open container of alcohol and no proof of car insurance. 

MMA Junkie reports local officers responded, after hearing a nearby gunshot at about 1am local time.

The officers found Jones and a companion on a nearby street, inside a jeep registered to the 32-year-old. 

When questioned by the officer, Jones reportedly denied knowing anything about the gunshot, saying he was just out for a drive and planned to head home shortly.

According to MMA Junkie, the officer wrote in his report that Jones had a "green leafy substance on his shirt and pants, consistent with marijuana and odour of alcohol coming from his facial area."

The officer noted that, during a search of Jones’ vehicle, he found a handgun underneath the driver’s seat and a matching spent round next to the driver’s door.

Both arresting officers also claimed Jones had "bloodshot, watery eyes".

Jones was asked to perform a field sobriety test, which the officers reported he failed "poorly", before the mixed martial artist was searched and arrested. 

Police reportedly found a black handgun and a 750ml bottle of Recuerdo mezcal in the vehicle. 

UFC middleweight champion Israel Adesanya didn't let the opportunity of Jones' latest slip-up escape without humour. 

The New Zealand trained combat sports star posting a tweet of few words on social media on Friday (NZ time).

The two outstanding athletes have waged in a war of social media words in the last 12 months, with the two destined to meet inside the Octagon, as long as Jones can stay out of trouble.

Jones is no stranger to run-ins with the law. In 2012, he avoided jail-time on a drink-driving charge, after running his Bentley into a utility pole in New York.

Jones’ next incident came in April 2015, when he was involved in a hit-and-run that left a pregnant woman with a broken arm and resulted in him being stripped of his UFC title.

In March 2016, Jones had a highly publicised traffic stop, where he engaged in a heated verbal confrontation with an Albuquerque police officer, after being accused of drag-racing.

The UFC's No.1 ranked pound-for-pound fighter was also suspended for a year in 2016 after failing a drugs test, two days before his UFC 200 title fight against Daniel Cormier.

The UFC has released a statement saying it had been informed of Jones’ arrest.

"UFC is aware of the situation regarding Jon Jones in Albuquerque early this morning," it says. 

"The organisation has been in contact with Jones' management team and is currently gathering additional information."

Jones has been released from custody and is scheduled for a bond hearing in early April.