Bledisloe Cup 2020: All Blacks defend Eden Park fortress to trounce Wallabies

Reeling from their opening Bledisloe Cup draw seven days earlier, the All Blacks have bounced back - as they so often do - to trounce Australia 27-7 at Auckland's Eden Park.

Leading 10-7 at halftime, New Zealand held their rivals scoreless over the closing 40 minutes, running in three tries to take control of the encounter.

Rookie winger Caleb Clarke could not find the scoreboard, but starred in his first start for the All Blacks, often beating tackle after tackle to split the Wallabies defence.

The results extends the All Blacks' unbeaten run at the Auckland venue, branded 'Coopers Catch Park' for the week - they still haven't lost there since 1994 and the Wallabies haven't won there since 1986. 

First-five Richie Mo'unga opened the scoring with a penalty after 19 minutes, before halfback Aaron Smith crossed for the first try a few moments later. He found centre Jack Goodhue running hard off an attacking scrum and when his teammate was tackled short of the try-line, Smith burrowed under the defence to score.

Australia responded before halftime, when powerful winger Marika Koroibete finished off a raid and James O'Connor converted.

At the break, the encounter was still evenly poised, but New Zealand captured the momentum soon after the restart, when Clarke featured twice in a movement that ended with Goodhue sending Jordie Barrett over in the corner. 

Bledisloe Cup 2020: All Blacks defend Eden Park fortress to trounce Wallabies

Clarke feature prominently again moments later, when he fielded a high kick in the All Blacks half and carved a wide path through the Australian defence, before No.8 Ardie Savea crossed with men outside him.

Captain Sam Cane provided the icing on the cake, when he took a pass from lock Patrick Tuipulotu and cut inside the final defender to score.

Australia had opportunities to make the contest more competitive and Koroibete squandered the best, when he tried to barrell over Mo'unga on the tryline, but was denied by the plucky first-five and late-arriving Anton Lienert-Brown.  

Hooker Brandon Paenga-Amosa appeared to score from an attacking lineout, but replays showed he used a double movement to reach the try-line.

Both teams have a two-week break, before they resume hostilities at Sydney's ANZ Stadium on October 31.

NZ 27 (Smith, Savea, Cane & J Barrett tries; Mo'unga 2 conversions & penalty) Australia 7 (Koroibete try, O'Connor conversion)