The Australian state of Victoria recorded 273 new COVID-19 cases and one death on Sunday, as the toll from the pandemic continues to climb.
State Premier Daniel Andrews says 30,195 tests were performed on Saturday as part of a "massive testing effort", 9 News reports.
It brings the total number of cases to 3799, of which 1484 are active cases. There are 57 people in hospital and 16 in intensive care.
The person who died was a man in his 70s, Andrews says. It brings the state's death toll to 24.
He says Victoria residents need to prepare for an out-of-the-ordinary winter since the state's restrictions will stay in place "until further notice".
Melbourne and surrounding Mitchell Shire were put into a six-week lockdown earlier in the week, and school students up to year 10 in this area would return to remote learning when term 3 starts on July 20. People are only allowed to leave the house for work, school and essentials during this lockdown.
"We've got to find a new normal. I know that's unpleasant and there will be many, many parents who will be very upset to hear this news [of school closures], but it's what must be done," Andrews says.
"We can't have the best part of 700,000 students, as well as parents, moving to and from school, moving around the community, as if there wasn't a stay-at-home order."
It comes as New South Wales (NSW) closed its border to Victoria on Wednesday to try and contain the virus.
NSW recorded five new cases overnight. From Sunday, all travellers into Australia arriving into the state will have to pay AU$3000 (NZ$3167) towards the cost of their 14-day quarantine, Premier Gladys Berejiklian says.
Each additional adult must pay AU$1000 and AU$500 for each additional child. There are no additional costs for children under the age of three.
There are fears a cluster is emerging from the Crossroads Hotel in Casula, southwestern Sydney, after a man visited there on July 3 later tested positive for the virus. Three of his close contacts also tested positive, as well as a staff member from the hotel, 7 News reports.
Every person who visited the pub from July 3 to July 10 is advised to go into self-isolation.