Taite Music Prize finalists announced
The finalists for the Taite Music Prize 2013 have been confirmed.
Aaradhna, @Peace, Collapsing Cities, Home Brew, Lawrence Arabia, Opossom and SJD will compete for the prestigious title and $10,000 prize money.
Named after the late music journalist Dylan Taite, this is the fourth year for the Kiwi music accolade. Its purpose is described as being ‘to recognise outstanding creativity for an entire collection of music contained on one album’.
The winner receives a cash prize of $10,000 supplied by PPNZ Music Licensing, free recording time at Red Bull Studios and a year's supply of Red Bull.
This year’s shortlisted albums are:
- @Peace - @Peace (Frequency Media Group)
- Aaradhna – Treble & Reverb (Frequency Media Group)
- Collapsing Cities – Strangers Again (Pastel Pistol)
- Home Brew – Home Brew (Young Gifted & Broke / Frequency Media Group)
- Lawrence Arabia – The Sparrow (Honorary Bedouin)
- Opossom – Electric Hawaii (CRS Records)
- SJD – Elastic Wasteland (Round Trip Mars)
The voting panel to determine the finalists was made up of a broad section of music media and industry specialists, alongside all current members of Independent Music New Zealand (IMNZ).
The winner, to be chosen from the shortlisted finalists, will be decided upon by a panel that makes their decision based entirely on the artistic merit of the albums. Sales, genres, artist recognition or popularity are not contributing factors in their decision-making process.
The winner will be announced April 17 at Galatos Live in central Auckland. The event will include live performances from previous nominees Julia Deans and another artist who is yet-to-be-announced.
source: newshub archive