Underbelly actor sentenced for punch
Thursday 15 Nov 2012 2:02 p.m.
Matthew Newton (AAP)
By 3 News Australia Correspondent Rachel Morton
Troubled actor Matthew Newton, who starred in TV3’s Underbelly Mr Asia series, has been ordered to pay a United States hotel clerk US$11,000 after punching him in the face earlier this year.
The altercation took place in a hotel lobby in Miami after 35-year-old Newton became angry about poor mobile phone reception.
He was charged with assault but the charges will be dismissed on the condition he apologises and completes 50 hours community work and an anger management course.
He was given credit for the time he’s spent at the Betty Ford rehabilitation centre in New York.
Newton was also trespassed from Mr Moe’s Restaurant and Bar in Miami after a separate incident this year.
Newton’s lawyer, David Oscar Markus, told Australia’s Seven News, “We’re very pleased that the case is going to be dismissed and this chapter is now over.”
Newton, the son of entertainers Patti and Bert Newton, refused to comment.
In September this year the New South Wales chief magistrate said other charges against Newton for assaulting a Sydney taxi driver would not be heard in the criminal court. The magistrate accepted Newton was suffering from bi-polar disorder and that his case should be heard under the Mental Health Act.