Well-known actor faces trial for sex offences

  • 15/03/2016
Well-known actor faces trial for sex offences

A trial date has been set for a well-known New Zealand actor charged with several sexual offences.

The man appeared today in the Auckland District Court, where Judge Nevin Dawson ordered his identity remain a secret, with name suppression continued until his trial in December.

The defence says it plans to call an expert witness based overseas, and asked Judge Dawson for a firm trial date so that the witness could appear in person.

A pre-trial hearing will take place on April 7, before a two week trial begins on December 5.

The actor is charged with four counts of indecent assault and two counts of sexual violation, involving four different women between 2010 and 2012.

He's pleaded not guilty to all charges.

Earlier this year defence lawyer Ron Mansfield told the court the charges stemmed from one-on-one acting classes, and any contact that occurred during class was consensual.

Mr Mansfield said publication of his client's name would lead to "extreme hardship" and impact on his ability to get work in the acting community.

The Crown opposed the granting of name suppression, citing other prominent figures like broadcaster Tony Veitch, who had continued to work in the entertainment industry despite publication of criminal charges.