Labour investigating another sexual assault complaint from separate party event

Labour general secretary Andrew Kirton says he's investigating a separate allegation of sexual misconduct at a party event.
Labour general secretary Andrew Kirton says he's investigating a separate allegation of sexual misconduct at a party event. Photo credit: The AM Show

The Labour Party has admitted it received a complaint about sexual misconduct at a separate party event to the one that created headlines on Monday.

Andrew Kirton, Labour's general secretary, told Lisa Owen and Ryan Bridge on RadioLIVE on Tuesday that he had been made aware of an alleged incident at an event some years back.

He says he was contacted that day by someone who told him there had been an incident at this event similar to what is alleged to have taken place at a Young Labour summer camp in February.

Mr Kirton says he's currently working with the person who made the complaint, and has encouraged them to go to the police if they want to.

He refused to disclose the location and date of the event, saying the omission was out of respect for the people involved. He does not believe the alleged incident involves Labour Party MPs or Ministers.

The party is currently facing criticism over its handling of alleged sexual misconduct at a Young Labour Summer Camp in February.

Four 16-year-olds were allegedly harassed or assaulted by a 20-year-old man at the camp in Waihi. 

Labour did not inform the police, the Prime Minister or the alleged victims' parents about the incidents. 

Mr Kirton says while they had the interests of the young people at heart, he admits they handled the situation poorly.

Newshub.