Talk Money: September 17, 2015
The New Zealand Super Fund has had a stellar run, returning 14.6 percent in the year to June.
It has averaged a 16 percent return per year over five years.
Paul Henry's Tony Field asked if the Fund had any advice for the rest of us. They say:
1. Get your asset mix right. If you have a long time until retirement you should mostly be invested in growth assets. The Super Fund won't start paying out for another 15 years so it has 80 percent of its investments in growth assets.
2. Stay focused on your long-term goals. Don't over react to the market's ups and downs.
3. Choose a low-cost fund.
4. Don't chop and change funds to chase last year's top performer.
5. Think about your long-term investments like a house. If you do not need to sell it, do not check the value every day.
6. Start saving early to benefit from compounding interest.
Watch the video for the full Talk Money segment.