Breakers star Corey Webster suspended after assault charge

Corey Webster (Photosport)
Corey Webster (Photosport)

New Zealand Breakers guard Corey Webster has been handed a one-game suspension by the club after being charged with assault.

Breakers general manager Dillon Boucher explained to media this morning that Webster has been stood down for breaking team protocol, rather than the assault charge which he charged with.

Webster, 28, was believed to be celebrating his birthday at The Takapuna Bar on Tuesday night when he was detained by police after reports of a fight.

"The club has done its best to investigate what occurred and to gather as much information as we can, we have done little else over the past 24 hours," said Boucher 

"This is the very least of our responsibilities to the team and coaching staff, to our fans and to all of our stakeholders and indeed to Corey himself."

Boucher said the club has suspended Webster for not putting the team first rather than the night itself.

"We feel like he was in breach of not putting the team first and choosing to be out rather than taking the professional approach of doing whats necessary for the club and for the team to be successful tomorrow night on court.

The team's general manager said he felt the Corey let the whole team down

"I'm human like everyone else, I've got a heart and I'm very disappointed that I have to be standing and fronting you guys.

"I was let down by Corey, he knows he's let me down as well as Paulie and the team."

Webster also breached club values in the way in which he communicated with the club about the Takapuna incident, Boucher said.

"You will know that amongst our values at this club are honesty and courage. In our view Corey has let himself, his team mates and the club down in the way in which he has handled the situation. He has not lived up to the 'one team' value that we have at the club."

Boucher says the Breakers will assist the police, courts and Webster himself through the legal process.

"At this time I would like to stress that Corey maintains his innocence of the charge and will defend himself vigorously."

The 28-year-old will not play for Friday night's home match against the Illawarra Hawks, with the club confirming a one-game suspension.

"This hurts the team, it hurts us as a club, but most importantly this will hurt Corey and should serve to reinforce the need for all of us to make good decisions in everything we do."


Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to Email
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to Viber Share to WhatsApp Share to Email