German police have raided an apartment in Munich, following a shooting spree at a suburban shopping centre in which 10 people, including the gunman, died.
Police commandos carried out the raid early on Saturday on the apartment in the neighbourhood of Maxvorstadt where Bild said the gunman - identified by police as an 18-year-old German-Iranian - lived with his parents.
"He lived right next to me," Bild newspaper quoted a neighbour as saying.
"A friend of mine went to school with him and said he was rather a quiet guy," the neighbour said.
"He recognised him from the videos from the scene."
Police have so far not confirmed whether the raid was connected to the gunman, who shot himself dead shortly after the attack which began on Friday evening at a McDonalds restaurant.
Top German ministers are also due to meet the nation's security chiefs on Saturday after the night of high drama in Munich, which also left 16 injured.
Police chief Hubertus Andrae said there are children among the victims and three people remain in critical condition.
Police said there was no clear indication yet of a motive for the rampage, which triggered scenes of panic at the shopping centre.
As the drama unfolded on Friday night, Munich authorities temporarily shut down the city's mass public transport services, evacuating the main railway station and calling on people to remain in their homes.
Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere is to meet security chiefs in Berlin after cutting short a vacation in the United States.
He is also set to attend a meeting of Germany's security cabinet of ministers, which is chaired by Chancellor Angela Merkel.
Flags around the country have been ordered to fly at half-mast as "an expression of sympathy following the abhorrent act of violence", the Interior Ministry tweeted.