Obese corpse ignites 'grease fire' during cremation

No other bodies were damaged in the blaze.
No other bodies were damaged in the blaze.

A crematorium in Ohio has caught fire while burning the remains of an overly obese body.

Don Catchen, owner of Hillside Chapel in Cincinnati, described the blaze as a "grease fire" to local news outlet WCPO.

Due to the corpse's extremely high fat content, it burned at a higher temperature than usual.

"Apparently it got a little hotter than the unit is supposed to get," Mr Catchen said.

It took firefighters two hours to put out the blaze.  Only one cremation unit was damaged thanks to robust fireproofing.

No other bodies were damaged in the blaze.

It's not the first incident of its kind - in 2014 a similar blaze occurred in Virginia during the cremation of a 226kg body.

Two years earlier, WCPO reports another fire in Austria left firefighters "covered with a layer of sooty grease".

Newshub.