North Korea (DPRK) has issued another warning to the United States ahead of a United Nations vote on fresh sanctions against the rogue nation on Monday (US Time).
A statement released by the foreign ministry of North Korea says the new sanctions draft put forward by the United States, calling for a halt of oil supplies to the DPRK, is "the harshest ever."
"The DPRK has developed and perfected the super-powerful thermo-nuclear weapon as a means to deter the ever-increasing hostile moves and nuclear threat of the US," the statement read.
"Since the US is revealing its nature as a blood-thirsty beast obsessed with the wild dream of reversing the DPRK's development of the state nuclear force which has already reached the completion phase, there is no way that the DPRK is going to wait and let the US feast on it."
The new draft sanctions come in response to the latest nuclear test earlier this month.
"In case the US eventually does rig up the illegal and unlawful "resolution" on harsher sanctions, the DPRK shall make absolutely sure that the US pays due price," the statement added.
"The DPRK will cause the US the greatest pain and suffering it had ever gone through in its entire history."
The United Nations Security Council will vote on Monday to put in place the sanctions.
However, the US sanctions plan may have a watered down outcome to satisfy Russia and China who have veto powers on sanctions, Reuters reports.
US proposed resolution plan:
- An oil embargo on North Korea
- Stopping the export of textiles
- Financial and travel bans on leader Kim Jong-Un
Earlier in the week, Japan's Defence Minister Itsunori Onodera said he wanted a firm resolution from the UN.
"Oil sanctions are the most effective sanctions, so I'd like to strongly ask for this," he told media.