Soldier dead after Linton Military Camp siege
Friday 5 Oct 2012 2:56 p.m.
By 3 News online staff
Police have revealed the soldier who barricaded himself inside a house at Linton Military Camp has died.
It was earlier reported the 23-year-old man had been apprehended but police have since announced his death at a press conference this afternoon. No one else is being sought in connection to his death.
The armed offenders squad stormed the house at around 2pm after firing tear gas canisters and found the man deceased inside.
They say no other shots were fired other than the shot which prompted the callout to the camp at around 10:30am.
Police are yet to release the man’s name and military rank and say it is not known if the firearm was military issue or a personal.
Central District Police manager of operations Inspector Dave White says all attempts to contact the man received no response.
“We are saddened that this has ended in tragedy and our sympathies are with his family at this difficult time,” Mr White says.
Police revealed this morning the man had been escorted home from town at 1am by colleagues and taken back to his house at the camp.
He would not comment on why the man was taken home but it is understood alcohol was involved.
The road to the base has been blocked off since this morning and an ambulance is at the scene.