Here's how to create the juiciest sweet and spicy Korean fried chicken that'll have your friends and family begging for more.
The sauce is so delicious, you can literally dip anything in it.
A perfect side dish to serve with this amazing plate of Korean fried chicken recipe would be a bowl of vinegary pickle that will just make every bite a little more delicious.
Want to know a secret that Korean grandmas would never share? The key to the crunch lies in adding a wee bit of baking powder in the corn starch.
Serves 3-4 people.
- 6 chicken drumsticks and 6 mid wings (washed and pat dry)
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ginger (grated)
- 1/2 cup potato flour
- 4 cloves garlic (grated)
- 1⁄4 cup light soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup corn syrup
- 2 tbsp gochujang
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds(toasted)
- 2 cups oil
1) Marinate and fry chicken
- Marinate chicken with salt, ginger and ground black pepper, and ensure chicken is evenly coated
- Place potato starch in a wide dish and dip each piece of chicken in the powder to coat it, one by one
- Pat or shake off any excess coating
- Each piece should be coated with a thin layer of flour and completely dry
- In a deep-frying pan heat up 2 cups of cooking oil over high heat for 7-8 minutes
- Slide in the chicken one at a time and deep fry for 12 minutes, turning occasionally to make sure they are browning evenly
- Take the chicken out to rest in a strainer for 5-10 minutes and turn off the flame at this point
- Bring up the oil temperature again on high and deep fry wings again
- After approximately 5 minutes, the chicken should be ready when the crust on the wings feel hard and crunchy - confirm this by knocking the crust gently with tongs.
2) Prepare spicy sweet sauce
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat
- Add 2 tbsp cooking oil and minced garlic. Stir until fragrant for about 30 seconds
- Add soy sauce, corn syrup, vinegar and gochujang
- Add the white sugar and continue stirring until all sugar has dissolved
- Add chicken to the sweet sauce and coat thoroughly.
Plate and serve!
After plating the chicken, add toasted sesame, crushed peanuts or crispy almonds for additional texture and flavour.
Asian Food Network