Man charged with murder over death of Dunedin man Gurjit Singh

Police have arrested a man and charged him over the death of Dunedin man Gurjit Singh late last month. 

A 33-year-old man was arrested this morning and will appear in Dunedin District Court later on Monday, charged with Singh's murder, according to Detective Senior Sergeant Kallum Croudis. 

It comes after Singh's body was discovered covered in blood and glass at his Pine Hill home last Monday and mystery surrounded his death. 

Gurjit Singh was found dead outside his home last Monday.
Gurjit Singh was found dead outside his home last Monday. Photo credit: Supplied

Det Snr Sgt Croudis said a large team of investigators have worked extensively on this case, but there is still work to do.  

Several vehicles, another residential property and workplaces are still part of the ongoing investigation, Det Snr Sgt Croudis said.  

"The hours of work put in by members of Environmental Science and Research, both at the scene and the laboratory, have been invaluable in assisting Police," Det Snr Sgt Croudis said. 

"We wish to thank members of the public for their information and CCTV footage provided, which has helped greatly with the investigation."  

Police said Singh's father is currently in Dunedin and is being supported by Police and the Punjabi community.  

"Our thoughts remain with the family at this extremely difficult time," Det Snr Sgt Croudis said.

Police at the house on Hillary St on Wednesday last week.
Police at the house on Hillary St on Wednesday last week. Photo credit: Newshub

After Singh's body was found, investigators have been piecing together what happened to the newly married man, treating the death as "unexplained".  

Last Thursday, it was revealed he likely died because of multiple stab wounds inflicted by a sharp instrument, police said citing pathological findings. 

"This news will be difficult to process and police are committed to finding answers of what has happened to Mr Singh, and providing closure for his loved ones," Det Snr Sgt Croudis said at the time.  

Singh was excitedly awaiting his wife's arrival from India who was expected to land in New Zealand in early February.  

Otago Punjabi Foundation Trust's Narindervir Singh has been in contact with the family.  

"The family wants to know why this happened to their son their hard-working son," Narindervir said. 

Weeks earlier, Gurjit, who had only recently moved into the house, had discovered his garage door unexpectedly open, Narindervir told Newshub.  

"He bought security cameras just as a common man like we do these days, all the New Zealanders, because nothing is safe in this country."  

"This incident has shaken the community a lot - unbelievable."  

Police said any information about activity in the Liberton and Pine Hill area - especially around 10pm on Sunday, January 28 - is welcome.  

Residents living in the area with road-facing CCTV that may have captured footage of the night are urged to contact police.