Rampaging teenagers arrested after crashing stolen car into multiple vehicles in 'astounding' Auckland CBD incident

The vehicle crashed at the intersection of Great North Road and Ponsonby Road.
The vehicle crashed at the intersection of Great North Road and Ponsonby Road. Photo credit: Google Maps

Six teenagers have been arrested after allegedly crashing a stolen car into three vehicles in Auckland's CBD last night. 

Police responded to reports of a crash at the intersection of Great North Road and Ponsonby Road at around 6:45pm on Wednesday. 

Passengers of the car, allegedly stolen from an address in Parnell, were between 11 and 17 years old.  

"A vehicle was seen to be travelling at speed through the intersection where the driver has lost control and crashed into a stationary vehicle, which was waiting at the lights," Auckland City Central Area Commander Inspector Grant Tetzlaff said.  

"The vehicle has then crashed into a further two stationary vehicles before coming to a stop," Insp Tetzlaff said. "A number of emergency services responded to the scene to assist the members of the public." 

He said the group of teenagers fled on foot down Karangahape Road.  

They were then located a short time later and taken into custody.

"Two 16-year-olds, one of which was the driver, have been charged in relation to this matter and will appear in the Auckland Youth Court today," Tetzlaff said. 

"The four others, aged between 11 and 17, have been referred to Youth Aid." 

Police said they will be opposing the bail of the driver, and admit they are "astounded at this concerning behaviour".  

The incident has been described as "fast-moving", which could have ended in "many different scenarios".

"Police are providing support to those members of the public impacted, and we hope the quick arrests following this incident are reassuring that police will not tolerate these actions in our community." 

Despite no one being injured, police say the vehicles involved have received "extensive damage".  

"It is extremely lucky no one was injured during this incident."